Today I will share the secret of the 15-minute mediterranean pasta with you. It’s a healthy and easy vegetarian gourmet dish.
Have you heard of the “Mediterranean Paradox”? Scientists discovered it when they studied the culinary habits of the Italians, Spaniards and Portuguese. It turned out that full of fats and carbohydrates the Mediterranean diet is much more wholesome and healthy than low-calorie food. It’s hard to find a fat italian, isn’t it? They regularly eat spaghetti, oil and cheese, but stay slim and healthy.
So what’s the secret? The main Italian dish for dinner is pasta. It is necessarily made from durum wheat adding of olive oil and low-fat cheese. There are thousands of variations of this dish but today we’ll talk about the classic recipe. When you master it, you can experiment with different ingredients – nuts, mushrooms, meat and other additives.
This recipe combines several advantages at once: the speed of preparation, the minimum labor input, the low cost of ingredients, the large volume of servings, which is enough for 4-5 people and the most important thing is excellent taste. Let’s get started.
15-Minute Mediterranean Pasta
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives halved
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 pcs tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- 1/2 tspn kosher salt
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- Firstly, bring a pot of water to a boil. Then lash the spaghetti into the water and don’t forget to salt it. There are directions on the package about cooking time. But remember that your pasta should stay a bit firm (al dente). When it’s done, drain the water and put the pasta into the pot. Better reserve 14 cup of pasta water, it will come in handy for our sauce.
- While your pasta’s preparing, fry smashed garlic in olive oil. The garlic should not become too brown too fast, let him gently cook for 8-10 minutes over low heat. Take the garlic out of frying pan - we needed it just for fragrance and flavor.
- Add the tomatoes to the frying pan and saute for 2 min. Then add the chives, the lemon and Kalamata olives to the sauce, stir the whole thing together. Add ¼ cup of liquid to help the ingredients combine. Then salt the sauce and cook on low heat.
- Now it’s time to put our pasta into the frying pan for 3-5 minutes. You may stir it with ¾ of the feta cheese and reserve some. Stew the pasta till the spaghetti become soft but don’t allow it to boil.
- Now serve our quick mediterranean pasta with the left feta and your dinner is done. Bon appetit!